I've expressed my dislike of living in Sf proper. As much as I'd like to think of myself as a cityboy, fact is, I'm just not. I find the city to be exceptionally obnoxious. Too many people... too much noise... too much difficulty living my life the way I enjoy living it (for example, getting in the car to go for a drive is a 20 minute ordeal). This was a pretty simple decision way-back-when... I was going to move back into Craig's house (same place I left to move to the city) once there was an opening. No problem. I was very, very happy there... it met all of my quality-of-life standards, and I enjoyed all of the roommates there. It was pretty much perfect.
Fast-forward to today: Craig's told me that one of the roomies is really close to leaving, so my reserved table is almost ready... but now Austin and I have grown closer, and there's an idea of moving in together being tossed around. We kinda agree that it's mostly a discussion topic right now (though we did look at a couple of places together this past weekend, and agree on which one we like most).
Here are my options:
- Move back into Craig's house
- Pros: Comfortable place that I've enjoyed living in before, exceptionally good rent, good location for work and most of personal life.
- Cons: Longer drive for either Austin or myself.
- Relocate within SF
- Pros: not a huge move, possible happiness with cityboy life, reasonably close to all friends everywhere.
- Cons: It's still the city, most expensive option to find anything decent.
- Find somewhere myself in the northbay (Marin/Tiburon/etc)
- Pros: Good in-between for Austin and I, close to either the Roseville or Palo Alto offices for work, gorgeous, relaxed location, close to the city without being in the middle of it.
- Cons: still relatively expensive, no real social life in truly close proximity.
- Merge closets with Austin in the northbay:
- Pros: Living with love, +all Pros of Northbay option
- Cons: All Cons of Northbay option, Moving in with someone you're in a relationship with is a HUGE step.
I'm just not sure what's most important to me: Save money (I'd just spend it somewhere else), have nearby friends (I'd prob make more, and wouldn't lose the ones I have), or Austin and our relationship, and to what degree (it could get better, it could get worse). I think the most honest truth is that I feel like my relationship is a major consideration, but I'm not really ready for the move-in yet. At the same time, if we do get there soon, I don't want to move twice. (I've moved twice in the last year already, and I'm done with it for a while)
The only thing that's absolute is that I need to figure this out soon. People are waiting on me, I need to let them know what's going on, and I need enough time to give official notices myself. (and all of this is better when it's not down to the wire).
The confusion continues....